On 21/08/2013, at 1:35 PM, Kevin <xing....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Graham,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> WSGISocketPrefix "/var/tmp/apache/${USER}/wsgi"
>
> where $USER is the owner which starts the Apache server. We store access and
> error log in the same directory.
>
> The owner of that directory and its parent are both $USER, and the
> permissions are both "drwxrwxr-x". It should not be a permission issue as
> this used to work on this host. I suspect .sock file was deleted somehow, I
> will move it to another location if the problem still exists.
>
> Is it possible mod_wsgi delete it? I looked at mod_wsgi code, does
> wsgi_cleanup_process() delete .sock file? and if so, is it only deleted from
> parent httpd process which created wsgi daemons, what could possibly trigger
> it being called?

The socket files are only deleted from the parent. Normally at Apache shutdown
or reload/restart. It is also done on startup to clear out stale files, but
that is only to protect against a stale file from a bad Apache shutdown. That
shutdown would have had to have been quite some time earlier, as the socket
files have the process ID of the Apache parent in them.

So I can't see how mod_wsgi could remove them in error. That you have them in
/var/tmp is a little worry. Normally /var/tmp isn't touched by anything. In
contrast, on some systems stuff under /tmp can be cleared out for various
reasons. After a bit of a Google search though I have found this comment:

http://superuser.com/a/168127

All RHEL-based distros clean /var/tmp of files older than 30 days. I don't know
about other distros. Look for a cron entry that invokes tmpwatch. On
Fedora/RHEL it is
/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch. It has a line like /usr/sbin/tmpwatch "$flags" 30d
/var/tmp or /usr/sbin/tmpwatch 720 /var/tmp. 720 hours = 30 days.

So looks like it is possible that some systems clear out stuff from /var/tmp on
a periodic basis.

Graham