I'm still struggling with disconnects with my slow readers. Here is all
that I have experimented with:

I downloaded the latest version of mod_wsgi source (5.0.0) and built it on
my Centos7 system. This all seemed to work well and I am now running that
version.
I modified my app to return an iterator and stopped calling "write"
directly. No real change in behavior.

To eliminate network devices causing problems, I started experimenting with
using localhost. Paradoxically, the localhost connections seem to be timing
out *sooner* than remote ones and seem to time out 100% of the time!

The timeout seems to occur at around 17-ish minutes. I have the apache
config param "TimeOut" set to 43200 (12 hours). I know that is insane but
that should make a send that is blocked by a slow reader sit there for 12
hours.
Alas, it does not. My slow readers are still timing out.

The error log has this:
[Wed Feb 07 19:17:26.807222 2024] [wsgi:info] [pid 19013] [client
127.0.0.1:38570] mod_wsgi (pid=19013, process='',
application='xcrutils.exegy-appliance.net|/xcr'): Reloading WSGI script
'/var/web/sites/request_handler_wsgi.py'.
[Wed Feb 07 19:34:03.493988 2024] [wsgi:debug] [pid 19013]
src/server/mod_wsgi.c(2443): [client 127.0.0.1:38570] mod_wsgi (pid=19013):
Failed to write response data: Connection timed out.

My python wsgi application outputs this:
Apache/mod_wsgi failed to write response data: Connetion timed out

That error string is what is in the trapped exception itself.

Looking at mod_wsgi, this call:
rv = ap_pass_brigade(r->output_filters, self->bb);
is resulting in rv being not equal to APR_SUCCESS and
exception_when_aborted is false.

Could there be some kind of timeout implemented in the bucket brigade code?