I don't know any way to just click somewhere and open the editor with
the cursor at the right position. I have to admit that I don't have too
much clue about advanced javascript, though.

What we can and will do (at some time in the future) is to support
section editing. So you can just edit a part of a page. This is useful
esp. for very long pages, where finding the right place in the editor is
hard.

A patch for this already exists, but it hasn't been merged due to
multiple, mostly development related reasons.

Until that gets merged, you can either use that patch or workaround the
problem by having shorter pages.