BTW, I just tested the "template issue":

With the current repo code as well as with the code tagged as "1.9.4" it
immediately worked.

I just uncompressed the underlay.tar (this is needed when running the
wiki from the repo, not required when using a release archive or package).

Then I started wikiserver.py and visited a non-existing page.

Got the "create new page" link plus the list with a few templates on the
left.

So I guess the issue must be some local configuration or installation issue.

Maybe check in the log output the precise path of the config file(s) it
loads. Maybe it is not the file you are editing.