As far as I understand it, this is what happens:

Step 1:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_realip_module.html#real_ip_header =>
"Defines the request header field whose value will be used to replace the
client address."

So in your config you tell nginx to treat the value of the header "
X-Forwarded-For" from the incoming client request as the "real ip".

Step 2:

Then with "proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;" you tell nginx to send
the "fake real ip" from "Step 1" as the value of the header "X-Real-IP" to
your Mojo app.

Unless you have another reverse proxy in front of your nginx I´d say you
should simply remove the "real_ip_header" and "real_ip_recursive"
directives from your nginx config and everything should work as expected
(as long as you tell your Mojo server that it sits behind a reverse proxy).

In any case "$controller->req->headers->header('X-Real-IP')" should now
give you the original client IP.

HTH
- Heiko