While this answer may work, it isn't the truly correct answer. By default,
encode_base64 adds linebreaks to the result. You don't want those and this
is why chomp seems to work, but it won't if the text should ever become
long enough to be on two lines. What you want (mentioned obliquely
here: http://mojolicious.org/perldoc/Mojo/Util#b64_encode) is to use
encode_base64 (or b64_encode) with an empty string as the second parameter.

All that said, you don't even need to do this manually. If you add your
username and password to the request url Mojo::UserAgent will just build
this header for you. See the example
here: http://mojolicious.org/perldoc/Mojo/UserAgent#SYNOPSIS

Cheers,
Joel