This probably a perl question so if I should ask elsewhere let me know...

In looking at the Mojo::Pg blog example and in recent addition of db method to Mojo::Pg::PubSub I see use of shift->.

From Mojo::Pg::PubSub documentation:

# Reconnect immediately
$pubsub->unsubscribe('disconnect')->on(disconnect => sub { shift->db });

Or from the blog example:

$self->helper(pg => sub { state $pg = Mojo::Pg->new(shift->config('pg')) });

This doesn't work in my code and I replace "shift" with "$self".   That appears to be working.   Also, I can't reconcile using shift in this way and what the perl documentation says about it but could get over this if it worked.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

John