Testing $@ is not the best way to determine an exception occurred. I'd
recommend Syntax::Keyword::Try as it handles all the edge cases for you,
but otherwise this gets you most of the way:

if (eval { ...; 1 }) {
  # success
} else {
  my $err = $@;
}

And make sure you log errors and rethrow any exceptions you do not handle.
You will want to see the error logging later.

-Dan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mojolicious/CABMkAVXOF03tv%3Dmh7LXqDErXWKno%3D7grzo0e0DNKRYfxGr3Vkw%40mail.gmail.com.