Currently, when I use the "depend" keyword to suppress alerts after a
failure, I occasionally get an alert from the dependent monitor because the
service it depends on goes down before its monitor is next run.

For instance, if I ping a host every five minutes and run the SMTP monitor
on that host every 9 minutes, and make the SMTP monitor dependent on the
success of the ping, if the host goes down right after ping returns
success, I will then get an SMTP failure alert, and a minute later I will
get a ping alert. This doesn't happen often, and it isn't horrible, but
when it happens it makes it a little bit harder to detect the underlying
problem.

It would be nice if there was some way to force mon to run all of the
monitors in a dependency tree, starting from the top of the tree, when an
error is detected. This would completely eliminate any spurious alerts and
make it clear what the underlying problem is.