I have mon running and alerting properly; mon.cgi is also running, and I
initially configured the auth.cf file to allow everything. I had full change
capability from mon.cgi. However, when I try to restrict things in auth.cf,
the authentication does not work at all when I try to make a change for
either authtype = userfile or authtype = getpwnam. For the former, I created
userfile with the format name:crypt_passwd on each line. When I log in to
mon.cgi and attempt to change something, the following error pops up:

Could not successfully execute command ... with arguments ...
520 command could not be executed (perhaps you don't have permissions in
auth.cf?)

The same thing happens when I log on to a valid account on the machine for
authtype = getpwnam. Also, what is the authdir for in the mon.cf config
file? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Allyn