I only wish it were so easy.  Unfortunately, there is no perl DBI for
SQLServer;  from what I've seen on the web, most people hack together
solutions with DBI::Proxy and DBD::ODBC, but it is by no means a trivial
process.  Given my prior experience with the joys of ODBC, I'd like to avoid
going down that particular road.

I've also seen that some people have had success DBD::Sybase, but that
solution is also fraught with perils and complications, and does not
uniformly work for all versions of SQL Server.

Being a happy Perl hacker, I'd like to write a perl script to do the
monitoring.  Failing that,  I could also use JDBC, and write my monitor
script in Java.  Uggh, but a possible solution.

Andrew's proposed solution of using the Concord SNMP agent on Windows boxes
to send a trap sounds intriguing.  Does anyone have comments on other
preferred SNMP agents for Windows2000?  We've had many, many battles and
problems with the Microsoft-supplied agent, and have ended up junking it.
I've played a little with Net-SNMP on Windows, but it really didn't do all
that I had hoped.

Scott Prater
Dpto. Sistemas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]