On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Jim Trocki wrote:

> > makes reading the alert a little confusing as the only difference between
> > an alert and an upalert is one word in the subject header.
>
> the rationale is to show you the specifics of what was not working in the
> past but now is working. if the last summary / output in the upalert was
> from the successsful test you would not see the detail of what hostgroup
> members were having the problem.

That information is available/included when the alert is called. Depending
on the settings alerts are also sent whenever the output of the monitor
changes. There is no new or interesting information sent for the upalert.

Ever since my first upalert I've felt that something is not quite right
about the information presented. The other people in my department have
the same feeling. The message is just confusing - "Is it up? But it says
that hosts are still unreachable!"

If this was a democracy (I know that it is not ;-) then I would vote to
have David's patch included in the next release...

By the way David, it looks like your patch changes the content of the
standard input given to the alert, but does it actually modify the
parameters for the MON_LAST..  variables?

Regards, Mark.
--
Mark Lawrence