If it happens to be a Foundry switch there is already a
foundry-chassis.monitor  that works great for monitoring that status of
power supplies,  fans and modules. That combined with the ping monitor works
well. Even if it is not a Foundry switch the foundry-chassis.monitor can be
modified to monitor any SNMP capable switch. I have modified the
foundry-chassis.monitor to report on our CISCO 7507's  router chassis
status.

Scott Yager
www.datathree.com

Example output from foundry-chassis.monitor

Detail for DATA3-switches/foundry-chassis
     poll foundry fans & pwr supplies

      Hosts:
     65.240.xx.xx 65.240.xx.xx

      Detail:
--------FANShost       index   opstatus
description-----------------------------------------------------------------
--------------65.240.xx.xx 1       normal                 left side panel,
back fan65.240.xx.xx 2       normal                 left side panel, front
fan65.240.xx.xx 3       normal                 rear/back panel, left
fan65.240.xx.xx 4       normal                 rear/back panel, right fan
65.240.xx.xx 1       normal                 left side panel, back
fan65.240.xx.xx 2       normal                 left side panel, front
fan65.240.xx.xx 3       normal                 rear/back panel, left
fan65.240.xx.xx 4       normal                 rear/back panel, right
an  ------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------POWER SUPPLIEShost       index   opstatus
description-----------------------------------------------------------------
--------------65.240.xx.xx 1       normal                 left side power
supply65.240.xx.xx 2       normal                 right side power supply
65.240.xx.xx 1       normal                 left side power
supply65.240.xx.xx 2       normal                 right side power
upply  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
----------MODULEShost       index   opstatus
description-----------------------------------------------------------------
--------------65.240.xx.xx 1       moduleRunning          FI4GM Fiber
Management Module65.240.xx.xx 2       moduleRunning          FI24E Copper
Switch Module65.240.xx.xx 3       moduleRunning          FI24E Copper Switch
Module65.240.xx.xx 4       moduleRunning          FI24E Copper Switch Module
65.240.xx.xx 1       moduleRunning          FI2GM Fiber Management
Module65.240.xx.xx 2       moduleRunning          FI24E Copper Switch
Module65.240.xx.xx 3       moduleRunning          FI24E Copper Switch
Module65.240.xx.xx 4       moduleRunning          FI24E Copper Switch Module

      Operational Status:
     ok (1)

      Exit Value:
     0