> One trouble in creating one group per host/service is the shear number of
> groups you end up with.

It is not difficult to generate a mon.cf file automaticaly
with a list of hosts to be splitted, no ?

> If you specify 'alertafter 2 30m', service b should not
> alert after one failure just because service a failed one time 15 minutes
> ago.

But service b does not since services are completely independant
with their alerts. Did I misunderstand your remark ?

> Because of these, I would have to agree with the original poster that
> failures should be tracked at the service/host level, and not the group
> level.

alertafter 2 30m
1round) A server f1 fails 1 time => no alert
2round) A server f2 fails 1 time => alert

In that case you'd prefer no alert, that's it ?

Since mon doesn't know what a host is, you have to write another
tool, or use separate groups.

--
Au revoir,                                  33 (0) 2 99 78 62 49
Gilles Lamiral. France, L'Hermitage (35590) 33 (0) 6 20 79 76 06