--On Wednesday, October 06, 2004 7:51 PM +0200 Hans-Dieter Karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all,

as i'm no perl guru, i hope that some of you like my idea and implement
it:

I'd need a new option in the configuration file to set watches and
services directly to disabled when mon starts up
(that would make it possible to have a "large, sleeping" mon configuration
and
start watches / services only when need - i.e. when a server-process
is activated, some other things get started, ....)

anyone interested?

I understand the suggestion, and its an interesting idea. I see a couple small problems. How do you control the behavior during a config reload? If the config says foo:bar starts disabled, and you've enabled it, presumably we don't want to disable it again just because we reloaded the config. I suppose we could re-parse that information if 'savestate' wasn't set during the reload... And we could use the same logic for determining whether or not to honor that data at initial startup. If we're loading state from the state file, ignore that setting in the config. But then that doesn't help if you want to load a new config with a new service without losing all your other existing disabled/enabled status.

Also, you can already get most of this functionality by saving your disabled state and loading it at server startup. When creating a new service that you want to keep disabled for now you could add an entry to the disabled state file before reloading the config... Thats not quite as elegant, but it would work.

-David Nolan Network Software Designer Computing Services Carnegie Mellon University