For now, I have a workaround by just putting the heartbeat action inside the monitor.
I'll give 'redistribute' a try.  It looks a lot cleaner.

Thanks for the tip.

David Nolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

01/14/2005 11:52 AM

[EMAIL PROTECTED], mon@linux.kernel.org
cc
Subject
Re: Mon:  Action upon success?

--On Friday, January 14, 2005 11:46 AM -0600 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> Does anyone here know if or how I can cause an action upon success in
> mon.cf?
> I'm working to have mon communicate with an in-house monitoring system.
> The in-house monitoring system has it's own protocol and tools.
>
> We have everything working except that I need to send a "heartbeat"
> message when a test succeeds.
>
> For those who are curious, this heartbeat message tells the in-house
> monitor that this host and service is OK and when to expect the next
> heartbeat.  If the next heartbeat does not come within 150% of the
> heartbeat interval, an alarm goes off.
>
> Thanks!

Try the current version of Mon from the sourceforge CVS repository.  There
is a new config option, 'redistribute', which is configured on a service
(not inside a period) and runs an alert script on every status update.  We
use this for sending mon traps between two mon servers, but it could be
used for your function just as easily.

(Though I just realized I need to add documentation for this option.  I
thought I'd done that already...)

-David Nolan
Network Software Designer
Computing Services