--On Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:01 AM -0500 Andrew Siegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There are many things that can go wrong in the email delivery chain,
making it undependable for alerts of an urgent nature.  Better to use
qpage.alert to send TAP/IXO text messages to a pager.  Use a modem
directly connected to your mon host, and connected to a direct copper
phone line to further minimize things that can go wrong.

We use this technique as well as email-based paging, and most of the time
the modem-transmitted messages get to the pagers faster.

We do something very similar. We have a custom alert script which first attempts to contact SkyTel's SNPP server over the internet, and if unable to contact it falls back to the SNPP server (qpage) on the local machine.

It turns out that you can do more interesting things via SkyTel's SNPP server directly then you can via TAP/IXO. In particular I can enable two-way messaging, to allow our coverage people to reply to an alert from the pager.

-David

David Nolan                    <*>                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
curses: May you be forced to grep the termcap of an unclean yacc while
     a herd of rogue emacs fsck your troff and vgrind your pathalias!