Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:07:38PM -0400,
>  Ed Ravin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>  a message of 23 lines which said:
>
>> In most cases, our engineers log into Mon and use the "host disable"
>> or "service disable" to stop montoring the stuff that's about to go
>> down, and re-enable them when the maintenance is over.
>>
>> Sometimes, we just ACK whatever's broken when Mon starts alarming.
>>

> The good thing about "doing nothing when there is a planned
> maintenance" is that it allows you to test that monitoring indeed
> works.
>
> I had several times the bad experience of an undetected failure
> because the monitoring had an hidden problem.

mon is just so quiet and minimal when things are running alright. 8-)

sometimes I feel a need to go look, or even to kick it, to reassure
myself that it is alright itself.

at some point I plan to implement a backup server in another department
and have the backups backup each other and the mons mon each other. Then
I could maybe have mon issue a "Good morning, Sysadmins!" with a summary
of things that have been checked and are running alright. It would come
on right before NPR's Morning Edition (in the US -- for other locations,
substitute appropriate national/regional/local morning news). If it
could query the coffee maker as well, then we'd be all set. ;-)

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center