* Mike wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
>    So I was wondering - what do people use to check their recursive
> resolvers and make sure they're giving out answers?

Isn't a resolver part of the OS libraries that do DNS lookups, not a
network service that can be checked.

> I use dns.monitor on
> my primary servers  to check that Im handing out data, but I also want
> to be checking my recursive resolvers to make sure they are handing out
> answers as well and I don't see a good way to do that?

See above, although I could be misunderstanding.

> I am switching to
> powerdns and could do some things here like make sure it hands out a
> crafted record in response to a TXT query for example, just to 'prove'
> it's running, but I don't know what tool I'd use to do that. Any ideas?

dns.monitor -caching_only record:TXT:result

should be able to do it, but doesn't appear to work like the
instructions say.

Apparently result is a second dns query that should match the first.
instead of a string to match against.