* Chris Hoogendyk wrote:

> On 1/7/11 4:30 PM, Nathan Gibbs wrote:
>> An AMANDA Backup monitor.
>>
>> Has anyone seen such an animal?
>
> I'm not sure why you would need it or what it would do.

Neither do I, but, I thought that about APCUPSD once too.
Figured I'd shake the bushes and see what flew out.

> Amanda does not run as a daemon. So, there is no issue with the daemon
> failing and no longer operating.

But it is reachable over the network, so what could I get mon to do with it?
:-)
After looking at the protocol docs on their site, there isn't much to do with
it. :-(
What a hacked up mess!

> Amanda runs off cron. Typically, you have amcheck on cron during the day
> when people are around to fix things. Then amdump runs off cron during
> the night. You get reports by email of problems and reports of the
> results of the dump.

Right, I usually check my mon status before I get to email, so the more mon
can do the better.

> I suppose, if you didn't want to read your reports, you could have
> procmail or something route them all to a folder where something like
> SEC could scan them and then only generate an alert when there was
> something out of the ordinary or a specific problem. But that seems like
> a lot of effort to avoid looking at your reports.

Agreed, way too much work to avoid work.
:-)
What is SEC?
If I'm chasing shadows, I might as well learn something in the process.

--
Sincerely,

Nathan Gibbs

Systems Administrator