The error from Monit:

[EDT Apr 9 12:40:45] error : 'pgbouncer' failed protocol test [PGSQL] at
[127.0.0.1]:6432 [TCP/IP] -- PGSQL: error receiving data -- Resource
temporarily unavailable

This happened while the system was under higher-than-normal load (nginx was
handling about 330 requests/second vs. 90).

My question, what would cause this, how do I troubleshoot it, and what
might fix this?

Monit has done this before on this machine with other processes.

Here is the config:

check process pgbouncer with pidfile /var/run/postgresql/pgbouncer.pid
start program = "/etc/init.d/pgbouncer start"
stop  program = "/etc/init.d/pgbouncer stop"
if failed host 127.0.0.1 port 6432 protocol pgsql then restart

Thank you!

I appreciate & respect your time. I am very keen to solve this, whatever is
necessary.

--

"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working
together is success."

Henry Ford

The information contained in this email message may contain confidential or
privileged information.  It is intended only for the individual or company
named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or copying of
this email message is strictly prohibited.