Hi,

Has anybody successfully used Monit to alert on desktop outages? We have a
number of desktops in student labs (University) on a campus. Although used
heavily, we
could legitimately find one pc in the corner of a room which simply has
been unplugged for a day or two but is actually fully functional.

I'm finding the 64 cycle limit a bit of a struggle. What I'm trying to
achieve is to get an alert if a machine hasn't been seen responding to
pings for about 3 to 4 days.
After that, it's probably a machine that warrants some investigation for a
potential failure.

Are there any strategies I could consider?

Currently I'm just using lines in a file in the monit conf.d similar to:

    check host Room4-36 with address 10.10.4.36

     if failed icmp type echo count 1 with timeout 1 second for 64
cycles then alert
    else if succeeded for 64 cycles then alert

The main monitrc cycle I'd want to check every 5 to 10 mins or so... but
because of the cycles 64 limit I'm having to increase that to more than I'd
like.
If I increase it to say an hour, a machine could be turned on the off again
within that window and I'd not be aware.

Any ideas or strategies?

Kind regards,

Graham Smith