To: <mono-devel-list@lists.ximian.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 7:32 PM
Subject: [Mono-devel-list] [off topic] mono/.net pure managed wrapperlibraries

Ok, I'm aware this is offtopic but hey :) it is _RELATED_ to mono in so far that I think about using it :P

So... my situation:
I have managed code written using ms .NET which uses MS managed wrapper for WMP. I'd like to port that code to osx using mono and as I then dont have WMP but QuickTime, I thought I'd write a wrapper that on WINDOWS uses WMP and on OSX uses QuickTime.
So far so good... ;)

Instead of:
on Windows I got:    MyApp -> managed WMP -> WMP
on OSX I got:            MyApp -> managed QuickTime -> QuickTime
I add the add. 'wrapper layer' so I have a common API:
on Win/osx: MyApp -> managed Media Player -> managed WMP (win) -> WMP -> managed QuickTime (osx) -> Quicktime

Now Im thinking about the performance decrease of such an add. 'wrapper layer' and wonder if I could 'inline' it ... so I dont have the wrapper in the compiled code:

I write:
oMediaPlayer->play();
and it compiles to either
QTplayer->play()