On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 01:46 +0300, Anton Andreev wrote:
>  Does any body successfully compiled all mono packages on Fedora Core 4
> x86_64? I failed ... If someone did can you please recompile them in a
> directory, tar and gzip it and release it somehow? or make a rpm? I can
> host such a package.  Would the Suse x86_64 rpms work on Fedora x86_64?

In the past I've struggled to get Mono built and installed on Fedora (and RH9 before that).  I gave up a while back - it was sucking up too much time.

I'm now in the same boat - running FC4 x86_64, and unable to find packages.  I've installed the 32bit installer - which works, but requires installing 32bit versions of any libraries that applications I want to build (f-spot, muine, ...) depend on.  It quickly becomes unmanageable.

I saw Ben's response that you can use the suse x86_64 RPMS, but that gtk-# won't work - that's not really a solution, as such.

Mono has some real value, and more and more interesting apps are being written all the time, but until getting the runtime installed on an arbitrary distro is *easy,* I suspect it's uptake will be hampered.

I've never understood is why Novell doesn't (and Ximian didn't) make working SRPMs or SPECS available that correspond with the RPMS they distribute.  I'd be OK doing an rpmbuild --rebuild to get x86_64 packages, but installing without package management is just one of those things I avoid whenever possible.

--

...Dan Berger [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   http://oubliette.org/~dberger

   Facts are the air of scientists. Without them you can never fly.

					 - Linus Pauling