So if I make install DESTDIR /path/to/temp do I still need to install on the
target at /usr/local (te default prefix), or will "anywhere" work?  I assume
the former, but am trying to understand.

-Chris

From: mono-devel-list-boun...@lists.ximian.com
[mailto:mono-devel-list-boun...@lists.ximian.com] On Behalf Of Nikita Tsukanov
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 1:06 PM
To: mono-devel-list@lists.ximian.com
Subject: Re: [Mono-dev] "Installing" mono via copy

>>- set a custom prefix (and other stuff) during configure
That's the problem. It tries to look for mscorlib at
$prefix/lib/mono/blablablah instead of /usr/lib. Instead of using custom prefix
just configure it with normal (i. e. /usr) and use make install
DESTDIR=/path/to/temp/dir. It will install all files to that directory, and
you'll be able to create your tarball.