On 09.04.2014 23:17, Alex J Lennon wrote:

A key component of what I was told toay is that Xamarin are unable to
work on Mono due to contractual obligations to Attachmate. As a
result they are (I am told) abandoning Mono and doing something
else which is the (presumably) VM underneath the Xamarin tooling.

I guess I'm looking for confirmation that either this is true, or
is some strange new form of FUD :) This comes from a discussion which
was originally about Microsoft open sourcing (ish, bits of) .Net.

The story you were told is incomplete. It turned out well:

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2011/Dec-21.html
http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wireless/184215/xamarin-attachmate-band-together-mono

Robert