On 22/05/14 02:20, Chris Morgan wrote:
Hmm.

I don't see any mention of NOCONFIGURE=1 in README.md.

If it were possible to run autogen.sh from outside of tree it would
make building under Yocto a little bit cleaner. Yocto is very
particular about separating source from build from installed files so
they can automate package generation, check for misbehaving packages
etc.

What is interesting is that a good portion of autogen.sh is ok with
being run out of the source directory.

Is it feasible to continue to improve autogen.sh to be run from
outside of the source directory? If so, I can hack on it a bit
tomorrow and see how I make out.

IMHO this would be a good contribution (but I can't speak for mono maintainers). I've even seen some opensource projects which forbid building within the same tree, to avoid breaking out-of-tree builds by mistake. Out-of-tree builds also make it much easier to clean build artifacts (like the files that ./autogen.sh and ./configure generates), so another advantage of forcing out-of-tree builds is that .gitignore files get much simpler (i.e. just ignore build/*).