On 11.12.2014 07:33, Alex J Lennon wrote:
The thing to keep in mind is that the corlib version inside monolite
needs to match the runtime version or bootstrapping the classlib build
won't work, so you can't just keep an old monolite and use it to build
newer Mono (at least that's how I understood it).

This is also news to me and very helpful to know thanks. I am not
disagreeing but I am surprised that we have to have an exactly matching
build of monolite for this, whereas we don't  if using a "full-fat"
Mono. I wonder why that is? Because monolite is very barebones just for
bootstrapping purposes ?

Monolite (a mcs + basic BCL) does not contain a Mono
runtime. That's the reason why its corlib must match the
runtime that you are about to build.

On the other hand, a full Mono does not have this limitation
because it comes with its own runtime + BCL + mcs. These are
by design always in sync.

Robert