> From: mono-devel-list-boun...@lists.ximian.com [mailto:mono-devel-list-
> boun...@lists.ximian.com] On Behalf Of Edward Ned Harvey (mono)
>
> To validate this concept, I'd like to point out that Microsoft ships Windows
> with a list of roots *and* a list of intermediates populated by default.

Bah.  I made a mistake.  The fact of the matter is, MS and Firefox (and
probably others) ship with roots only, and no intermediates.  They
automatically store any intermediates they receive from servers during normal
usage, which can cover up problems if later connections fail to provide a valid
chain.  I was misinformed because I looked at the intermediates list of a
system that had been used to browse a lot of internet, but today I looked at a
pristine windows installation and confirmed the intermediate list was empty.
Also, I found a mozilla support article where they explicitly say "Firefox
automatically stores intermediate certificates that servers send in the
Certificate Manager for future usage. If a server doesn't send a full
certificate chain then you won't get an untrusted error when Firefox has stored
missing intermediate certificates from visiting a server in the past that has
send it, but you do get an untrusted error if this intermediate certificate
isn't stored yet."

So my long email is moot except for two points:  The root certs need to be
automated, and mono SslStream.AuthenticateAsServer() needs to be fixed because
it doesn't send the chain.  (The problem is underlying; not actually a flaw in
SslStream itself.)