Is there a way to improve unsafe code performance on Mono to the levels it
performs on Windows?

I'm trying to speed up on GNU/Linux and OS X hosts a LZ4 (a compression
algorithm) C# unsafe implementation (available here
https://github.com/MiloszKrajewski/lz4net/tree/master/src/LZ4pn) to the levels
it performs on Windows. While on Windows this unsafe implementation is almost
as fast as the native DLL compiled from C source (roughly ~75ms of difference
in some hosts while compressing 100MB), the same code performs almost 3x slower
on Linux and OS X than its native .so or .dylib wrapper counterparts.

I was wondering if I'm missing some obscure optimization flag. I faced this
performance problem on Mono 4 and Mono 3.2.8

Thanks for your responses.