Hi! I think I can give you a hand. I wanted to do a tutorial too about Gtk# and Mono, and the tribulations one can encounter as a newbie. So far my experience with Mono is only a rather simple Gnome application that I made, which is a front-end for Mencoder. It has been a very good learning experience for me, and with every problem I have found, I got to know some of the internals of Gtk#. The app is not finished by any means, but does its job currently. I had a few problems with threads and Gnome, and I think that is something newbies (especially the ones that are migrating from Windows) will face many times in the future.

I am using now Eclipse for developing, so I can relate my experience with it, which is very positive. It's the best tool I know for developing on C# (don't know very much of Visual Studio.NET so I can't comment on that).

Please count me in for the mono/gtk#/glade#/glib# sections, and in the future with Gconf# (got to implement the preferences yet). If I do a big polish to my app we can count it as a sample.

Pablo