While I can't speak for the Mono team, nor for everyone, I don't see this as an either / or proposition.

I'm working with Mono to gain alternative platforms for projects that were defined as C# / .NET framework implementations by the business.

FRom a development deployment perspective, writing a WebService in Mono / .NET is significantly easier than doing them in Java.

Remoting is also much easier.

Java is still a great environment, and for some projects, it remains the best choice. There still isn't a usable Mono for the Mac OS X, so if you require OS X compatability, Java is your best option.

In short, I don't think there is a unilateral why, there are a lot of little contributing reasons that you as a developer need to evaluate to the business, or productivity problem that you are trying to solve. Unfortunately, we as developers sometimes lose track of the concept of the 'best solution to a problem' in our advocacy of what we are comfortable with, or of what we want to learn next :-).

Andy