I am trying to build Mono from CVS.  I have cygwin working.  I can build mcs just
fine. I believe I have libgc installed correctly (installed by downloading
gc6.2.tar.gz into /usr/src, expanding it, and doing ./configure; make; make install
from /usr/src/gc6.2) but I don't know for sure as I am experiencing the following
problem when running ./autogen.sh - prefix=/usr/local from my mono directory:

Checking gc.h usability... no
Checking gc.h presence... no
Checking for gc.h... no
Checking gc/gc.h usability... no
Checking gc/gc.h presence... no
Checking for gc/gc.h... no
Checking for GC_malloc in -lgc... no
Error: "GC requested but libgc not found! Install libgc or run configure with
-with-gc=none."

I'm an experienced developer and Windows guy but have limited knowledge of Unix and
cygwin so I know I am doing something stupid here.  I checked the list archives but
found nothing that helped me get past this issue.  I'd really like to get this build
process working so I can contribute effectively in the xml.schema area.  Can anyone
point me in the right direction?

I ran into a similar problem with glib and got past it just fine.  I followed more or
less the same process (go get the archive, expand it, build it and install it) with
the libgc without success.

Here's the deal: if I can get this thing working I will document it so we have a
repeatable process for morons like me :-).  Note that I do have an installed copy of
mono 0.29 on the Windows box (not under cygwin).  I just want to build the latest as
it contains some fixes for my schema issues.

Thanks