I have a 3rd party component that I use on my .net sites, and I would like to know if there is a way to compile the component for use within my Mono applications? (obviously this pre-supposes getting the source code from the vendor, but they have already expressed an interest in getting doing this).

It depends what kind of features does this component use. If all of them are implemented in mono, You should be able to use this component even without recompiling under mono, AFAIK :)

-- Gert