Tom wrote:
Jochen,

I'd like to be able to use Mono, but also use an API that is free of MS patents.

I don't know much about web programming, as I'm realy a C++ developer, but might the long term alternative to ASP.NET be a server API that builds and exchanges XAML/XUL with the client?

I'm just surprised that there is no real alternative to the MS API, given that there are so many alternatives to the MS API for the desktop GUI.

Hi guys,

Just my $.02

I agree with the idea of having another implementation besides asp.net.

One presentation framework I'd like to see ported to .Net would be the Echo Framework. http://echo.sf.net.

It is very nice and allows you to use the same idea of application instance you are used to in desktop instead of using a page centric approach. I think it has this idea more tight than asp.net design.

I know it is in Java, but IMHO, it would be a worthwhile port.

Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.