----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian MacLean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Joshua Tauberer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "rus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 8:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Mono-list] Monodoc -- Can we use this to document our application?

Joshua Tauberer wrote:

rus wrote:

On a related note, I was just wondering.. is there any way of using NDoc
to generate monodoc documentation?

No, but as I often say, the documentation formats are pretty close. If you want that functionality, making a converter should be possible, and not too difficult.

This is probably better implemented as an ndoc Documenter [1]. These are plugin classes that generate a given output format from ndocs xml format ( which is basically MS's xml format - the one that gets generated by the /doc argument to csc ). Current documenters include:
- plain xml
- MSDN format
- javadoc format
- LaTex

writing a documenter that generates monodoc format woudl be fairly easy - and may even be as easy as hosting an xslt transform. THe documenter implementation is also quite straight forward - we wrote one for NAnt to auto-generate the end user doc for tasks.

However the other thing thats missing is the implementation of the /doc arg for mcs.exe. Otherwise there will be no input for ndoc to use. I know Atsushi submitted a patch a while back - did that ever get committed ?

Nope, it caused some regressions, and Atsushi didn't have time to create a new patch yet.

Regardless of that, it would also be useful to support the Monodoc/ECMA format as input in NDoc (and not just the MS /doc format).

Gert