Martin Hansen wrote:
Yes, you can submit a test case that shows we're slow, so we can check and fix it.

I made some speed tests too and found mono to be slower. If you have some sample programs that run faster on mono I would be interested.

My test was simple:
// project created on 8/16/2004 at 4:00 PM
using System;

class MainClass
{
        public static void Main(string[] args)
        {
           double sum=0;
                for ( int m=0;m<9;m++){
                        for ( int n=0; n<=(1000* 1000 * 1000) ;n+=1 )
                        {
                                sum *= 1.0;
                        }
                }
        }
}

The results was Under .net 6 secs. Under mono 9 secs, adding --optimize=all did not make a big difference. The same program in c++ compiled by g++ -O3 is also about 6 secs.

But the most peculiar thing is that sometimes when compiled by mcs it takes
mono above 2 minutes to finish, I have not found the differencing factor yet.

Not meaning to flame but isn't that test a bit of a no brainer for performance issues, I mean its simply an aggressive loop that will take any langugage / platform a while to work through