Hello list,

I have a core app that is usually embedded into a Windows service and, alternatively, into a console program for debugging. As the console program runs fine on mono (on SuSE 9.1, in my case), I'm looking into running it as a Linux daemon or other form of permanent, auto-starting system.

For this it would be needed to replace two Windows-related mechanisms: ServiceProcess and EventLog. The logging part seems easy as I can switch to logging into a file, or look into the syslog functions. Are there any recommendations for the daemon/service part? Can I make use of ServiceProcess at all - I guess not? Is there a must-read available anywhere to clear things up? I believe this is also heavily distro-specific?

Best regards,
Helge