On Nov 4, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Jonathan Pryor wrote:

*Where* did Novell admit anything similar to this?  To paraphrase the
SCO case, provide file & line numbers for confirmation. :-)

Microsoft & Novell only appear to have signed a statement saying that
neither company will sue the other companies customers over *any*
patents.  This would likely apply to Novell Netware and eDirectory as
much as it applies to openSUSE.

Forgive me for being naive, but regardless of the IP status of Mono, or any of the Novell products, how on earth does the legality of their product come under the realm of my responsibility, to where I can be held liable for using their products, notably, Mono?

Say I'm implementing a completely cross-platform solution that uses the .NET runtime on the Windows platform, and the Mono runtime everywhere else, if there is any liable intellectual property in the Mono runtime, how on earth am I (as a customer of Novell, and someone who merely uses the Mono runtime) in any legal danger?

To use to a physical metaphor, say I buy these special receding screws from MiguelCo Construction Supplies, and I build numerous houses/buildings with said receding screws (since MiguelCo's receding screws are cheaper, and work with more types of material), if further down the line its discovered that MiguelCo's receding screws are really a take-off on GatesCorp's design (which are far more expensive, and only work in redwood indigenous to the pacific northwest), legally, how can I even be included in any sort of litigation?

All I did was build something that uses legitimate (to the best of my knowledge) tools and materials? Predict doom as much as you want about a Novell/Microsoft partnership, but how does their IP somehow damn my products that base off of theirs?

That said, maybe Microsoft will be a bit more forthcoming with some of the features/specifications that are needed to have proper .NET 2.0 class library compatibility....or they'll just sue us all ;)

Cheers

R. Tyler Ballance: Lead Mac Developer at bleep. software
contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]