The built-in app.config features work fine cross-platform. Even custom configuration sections and all of that. Our system uses them extensively for system composition (ie: defining which components should be started at runtime) on both .NET and Mono. But that type of setting setup is per-application; it doesn't make an ideal per-user configuration system unless you create your own construct within it. Totally feasible, but probably not what the OP was getting at.