On Oct 24, 2013, at 6:02 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (mono)
<edward.harvey.m...@clevertrove.com> wrote:
> All the guides out there that I can find tell people to use "makecert," which
> isn't an option.  Or use openssl.

Why aren't those options? It shouldn't matter how you create the cert, as long
as you have one...

...except that the normal System.Net stack wants a "valid" certificate chain
lest it start throwing exceptions, and it'll start throwing exceptions with
your self-signed cert.

The workaround for this is to set the
System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback property [0,
1] to a delegate which will check that the certificate you're getting from the
server matches what your app expects. If it does, it can return `true` and the
certificate will be used anyway, allowing you to use a self-signed cert. If the
delegate returns `false`, the connection will be refused, as normal.

 - Jon

[0]:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.servicepointmanager.servercertificatevalidationcallback.aspx
[1]: