Hello Greg,

I am using Mono on CentOS5, CentOS6, and Debian 6 and 7.
I am using my own mono packages built on OBS, and they work fine on
the distributions that I am using.
See also
http://www.pokorra.de/2013/12/easy-installation-of-current-mono-and-monodevelop-for-all-major-linux-distributions/

For OpenPetra, we are using Postgresql (with
https://github.com/SolidCharity/openpetra.js/tree/master/csharp/ThirdParty/Npgsql)
and Sqlite (for demo purposes) and also have support for Mysql, but
not actively using that at the moment.
We use our own database abstraction layer:
https://github.com/SolidCharity/openpetra.js/tree/master/csharp/ICT/Common/DB
We have our own ORM mapper, that generates code: see
https://github.com/SolidCharity/openpetra.js/tree/master/csharp/ICT/BuildTools/GenerateORM
We also have a generator for creating the webservice functions:
https://github.com/SolidCharity/openpetra.js/tree/master/csharp/ICT/BuildTools/GenerateGlue

I am currently using lighttpd and fastcgi-mono-server4 to serve the
ASPX and ASMX pages.
see the code here: https://github.com/SolidCharity/openpetra.js/tree/master/js
and
https://github.com/SolidCharity/openpetra.js/tree/master/csharp/ICT/Petra/Server/app/WebService
and the server config etc here:
https://github.com/solidcharity/openpetra.js/tree/master/setup/petra0300/linuxserver
You can see how I package my application for RPM and DEB here:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:tpokorra:openpetra/openpetra-js

For Development, I have compiled MonoDevelop for all major linux
distributions, as mentioned above.
But I am also often using SharpDevelop when developing on Windows
(http://www.icsharpcode.net/opensource/sd/)

I hope this helps,
  Timotheus