Is the idea of the library build branch to have monotone to build all of the
libraries it needs, but do this by using each library's own build system or
is it to get monotone to a state where it requires and uses system installed
libraries?

I was playing around with the idea of using my system installed botan the
other day and it wasn't very hard to get monotone to use what I have already
installed, although I haven't added any autoconf checks to see what version
of botan is available and whether it is suitable or not. I would expect
these would be simple enough to add for someone who has a clue about
autoconf.

Cheers,
Derek