Not to Well-Actually-Cat you, but I'm pretty sure the iPad1 only has 128 MB
of RAM. I mention this because it may be useful to Stone to realize he has
even fewer resources to work with than he thought :-)

Nothing beats having actual hardware to test on, but at least if you have a
general idea of the limitations of the target device, you have a better
chance of success.

Everything else you said is spot-on.

Jeff