Right now it is a pain.  There seems also to be a problem with Actions being
stripped from the resulting monotouch files.  You can load the IB again into
xCode, the actions show up sometimes, but inevitably the actions are gone
from both side of things.

What I do, until this is fixed - is 1. Quit monodevelop, 2. Restart
monodevelop, 3. Edit an IB (launches xCode), 4. Wait patiently for 115 files
so synchronize, 5. Make changes, 6. without exiting xCode, switch to
monodevelop and click on whatever c# file is currently open, this signals
monotouch to sync the files - if you don't see the sync progress bar appear,
then 6.b switch back to xCode, save again, rinse and repeat - 7. once I see
the sync occur using the above method, switch back to xCode and exit -
should produce a final sync.

This is the only way I've found to "ensure" that a sync will occur, other
than rubbing various good luck charms scattered around my mac mini.

The best luck I've had is first to always remember to just quit monodevelop,
re-start it, then edit an IB - rinse and repeat if you have many IBs to
update.