Hi Randy

I'd suggest you raise a bug at https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/ - that
will get the quickest response, and you have all the info needed to
make a good bug report :) .

If it's super urgent (sounds like it is!) also email
supp...@xamarin.com and link to the bug.

Can you reproduce this with just Mono? ie, do a console app with the
same, does it also crash out?

It looks (from the dump) like a compiler error, rather than a
monotouch error. But I'm not sure - I think you need someone on the
compiler team to verify it :)

Cheers

Nic

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Randy Ficker <randyfic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the middle of developing a large MonoTouch app, I started getting the
> “The compiler appears to have crashed” error.  This was frustrating because
> it gave no indication as to where in my code the issue was, and it still
> crashed even after undoing my recent changes.
>

> After spending considerable time ripping code out of the project, I was able
> to make a short repro:  (it’s a large project at over 400k lines, so don’t
> ask how long it took to narrow it down to this J)
>

> struct SomeStruct1
>
> {
>
>        SomeStruct2 One;
>
>        SomeStruct2 Two;
>
> }
>
> struct SomeStruct2
>
> {
>
> }
>
> class SomeClass
>
> {
>
>        SomeStruct1? foo;
>
> }
>

> I hope you guys can provide me work a work-around to this ASAP, as I’m
> currently out of commission until I can get my project to build.
>

> All components are up-to-date with the “stable” channel.  “smcs --version”
> gives 2.10.7.0.
>

> Here are the complete repro steps:
>

> 1.       Make a new iPhone project (I used the “Empty Project” template)
>
> 2.       Paste the code above into Main.cs
>
> 3.       Build, and you’ll get the following error:  (full build output
> visible at http://pastebin.com/CMRBkkB4 )
>

> * Assertion at ../../../../../mono/mono/metadata/class.c:1740, condition
> `class->image->dynamic || field->offset > 0' not met
> at (wrapper managed-to-native)
> System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder.create_runtime_class
> (System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder,System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder)
> <0xffffffff>
>
> 1.    at System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder.CreateType () <0x0039f>
>
> 2.    at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.CloseType () <0x0019b>
>
> 3.    at Mono.CSharp.ModuleContainer.CloseType () <0x00080>
>
> 4.    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () <0x0047e>
>
> 5.    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (string[]) <0x000af>
>
> 6.    at (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>.runtime_invoke_int_object
> (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0xffffffff>
>

> Any help is greatly appreciated!

Nic Wise
t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/

mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
Earnest: Self-employed? Track your business expenses and income.
http://earnestapp.com
Nearest Bus: find when the next bus is coming to your stop. http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding! http://goo.gl/Icp2