This may be an IOS thing, but wanted to ask/mention.  When
detecting/acquiring host entries for the local machine, I run identical code
on Windows and an iDevice.  Specifically Dns.BeginGetHostEntry.

On a Windows box, running .net 3.5, in the absence of a DNS server, this
operation still succeeds and I acquire the local addresses.

However, in experimenting with ad-hoc wireless, in the absence of a DNS
server, I am finding the iDevice - having failed to find a DNS server, falls
back to MDNS (multicast DNS) queries to a 224.x.x.x address.  After failing
that, acquisition of local host addresses fails.

So, the same code is behaving very differently in .net applications in the
same situation.

Is there any other means of acquiring local device addresses other than
through Dns.BeginGetHostEntry using the local hostname?  Is this a problem
with the MT implementation of Dns.BeginGetHostEntry or with IOS (I'm
assuming it is an issue with IOS as the fallback to MDNS is well
documented).