Hi Bill,

I considered rowing, sculling and a long line to the dock where I launch my boat.  I 
bought a new outboard instead.

I have not yet found oar sockets and oar locks that look like they will complement the 
stainless hardware on my boat.  (Any suggestions out there?)

Ditto for a sculling oar mount.

The launch boat and pull to the dock with a long line would work on the days the ramp 
was less crowded .  The wind blows off the dock I use.  I have recently purchased a 
length of line and plan to tie up with a mooring hitch, which releases with a tug.  I 
plan to raise the sails and cast off from the dock, but I will motor to the dock and 
likely will leave the engine running until I clear the ramp area, in case I have to 
dodge someone.

I was inspired by someone with a racing boat - maybe a J24.  He launched while his 
wife parked the truck.  He sat on the bow with a long paddle, paddled over to the 
dock, and tied up "bow to".  By sitting on the bow with his legs dangling over he 
could paddle on either side.  He raised the sails, she cast off and stepped on board.  
Looked impressive.  Took much less time than we spend raising sails while under way.

If the  motor will not start I may use the bow paddle method.  

For a small boat with a cabin to crawl over I think the mooring hitch will be a better 
solution to casting off, as we both can be in the cockpit.  If the dock is crowded or 
windy I will use a second line that the admirable can cast off, then release the 
mooring hitch when she is comfortably onboard.

If I were to depend on NOT having a motor I would want a good way to fend off other 
boats, assuming there are other boats around.  Some sort of padding on the end of a 
boat hook and fenders hanging off both sides - just in case.  I have seen very 
experienced sailors have close calls when sailing without a motor.

Like everything it comes down to where you sail.  How reliable are the winds?  Are 
they favorable to sailing off a dock or mooring, and then returning?  I have jumped in 
the water to guide my M-15 back on the trailer when my original motor died, which was 
not a difficult task.  Will conditions allow you to do that?

You probably can get a lot of ideas by taking a folding chair to your local launch 
site and observing what others do.  Might be a source of humor as well!

Steve R.
M-15 #119
Lexington, KY


--- "Grillo, William M (N-DVO)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I may be dredging up an old question, but I am new to your group.
>
>Do many of you sail powered by only oars and sails?  I know many of you are
>schedule limited, but would you consider that option if you were not?
>
>Bill
>
>_______________________________________________
>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to