Hi Ken,

I too wish to rearrange my mainsheet control and am in the process of
looking at the various methods.  My reason is to provide the room for
some sort of shade as it is getting pretty warm here in Phoenix.  Right
now I am experimenting with a large Windbrella inserted into a pivoting
fishing rod holder attached to the lower hatch board. If this doesn't
work I may go to a bimini.

I have talked  to Joe Kidd and Fran Lebowitz who have both moved their
mainsheet control to the aft end and are happy with the move. Based on
reading the old files, some others have also made the move.  If I am not
mistaken both Joe and Fran simply added a fiddle block with cleat and
swivel between the traveler and the aft block on the boom.  While I
haven't purchased one yet, it appears that the Harken Little Fiddle
block (057 through 060)  or the Schaefer #303-75 Fiddle Block with
swivel shackle and cleat would both work. I am sure other fiddle blocks
would work as well.  I gather that a boom vang  would probably be needed
if the mainsheet is moved as the boom would be free to rise while going
downwind.

Evidently the Potter 15's  have a mainsheet set-up similar to the M15
and while some of those folks have moved the controls aft as noted
above, others have installed a  Ronstan pivoting base block with C-cleat
(WM 2002 catalog page 1008) to the middle of the boom and controlled the
mainsheet from there. I don't know if anyone in this group has used this
method but I would be interested in opinions as to how it would work on
an M15.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Don Olson  M15  Phoenix, Az.




_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to