Hi Giles,

The North Channel is a place I've wanted to explore for a long time.

Not knowing your timetable, let me fill you in with the little I know.

1.  There is a Cruising Guide to the North Channnel - privately
published.  I've seen reference to it in SAIL, Cruising World, and
Messing About in Boats, and I gather it is very complete (but probably
costly).

2.  I once had some e-mail contact with a family in Parry Sound, and was
discussing North Channel cruising with them.  (You know, ramps, good
spots, etc.)  Their recommendation was to go further West to Spanish -
for example  - put in there and then have a broad reach back to Parry
Sound.  
When you get to Parry Sound, hitch-hike back to Spanish or somewhere
closer, retrieve your car and trailer, drive back to Parry Sound and haul
the boat.

That way you make the most of the prevailing winds, and have a pleasant
down-wind sail all the way.

3.  I wish I could help out with the Parry Sound couple's e-mail address
- they were most helpful and knowledgeable - but after the correspondence
I deleted it.

4.  Check your Library and see if they have back issues of Cruising World
or SAIL, and check them for the Georgian Bay / North Channel articles. 
If you can find them, the author generally lists publications; charts;
etc, needed for the area.

Sounds like a great trip.

Happy sailing

Connie

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to